Museo Stefano Bardini | Florence
September 12 2020 - December 21 2020
promoted by Comune di Firenze
organized by MUS.E
in collaboration with Eduardo Secci Contemporary
and with the support of Moaconcept
The presence of the works of Kevin Francis Gray in Florence testifies and confirms the leading role that the city plays in the promotion of contemporary art.
The deep bond that exists between Kevin Francis Gray and the Tuscan territory is testified by the long years of collaboration between the artist and the marble studios of Pietrasanta. But it is for the first time that, thanks to this exhibition, the artist exhibits his works in the Florentine territory, in search of a direct dialogue with the great masters of the past. In the rooms of the Museum we find over twenty works made with different types of marble: statuary, Carrara, bardiglio, marquina and a bronze work. The artist's devotion to the art of the past is witnessed not only by the use of materials, but also by his love for the ephemeral, classical poses and subjects as if magically wrapped in a timeless veil.
Kevin Francis Gray was born in 1972 in Armagh, Northern Ireland. He studied at the National College of Art and Design in Dublin, then at the School of the Art Institute in Chicago and in 1999 he received an MA in Fine Arts from Goldsmith College. The artist works closely with two marble studios, between London and Pietrasanta, the latter being particularly well known for its use of sculptural techniques dating back to Canova and Michelangelo. His works have been exhibited at the Royal Academy in London, UK; Sudeley Castle, Winchcombe, Gloucestershire, UK; the Museum of Contemporary Art in Val de-Marne, Paris, FR; Nieuw Dakota, Amsterdam, NL; Palazzo Arti Napoli, Naples, IT; Musee d'Art Moderne, Saint-Etienne, FR; ARTIUM, Centro-Museo Vasco de Arte Contemporáneo, Vitoria-Gasteiz, ES; Tel-Aviv Museum of Art, Tel Aviv, IL; and Art Space, New York, USA.
• Bolletti Paola, Il Reporter, Le sculture di Kevin Francis Gray al Museo Bardini di Firenze, 21 Settembre 2020
• Farrell Jane, The Florentine, Kevin Francis Gray at the Stefano Bardini Museum, 21 Luglio 2020
• Serena Bedini, Rosso Rubino, Il museo Bardini Ospita la sensuale corporeità dell’arte contemporanea, 18 Settembre 2020.
• Rizza Gabriele, Il Tirreno, 18 Settembre 2020
• Gimmy Tranquillo, Controradio, 17 Settembre 2020
• Costanza Baldini, In Toscana, Le sculture di Kevin Francis Gray dialogano con le antichità del Museo Bardini, 18 Settembre 2020
• Olga Mugnaini, Al Bardini le figure “velate” di Gray, La Nazione, 6 Giugno 2020